Department: Tourism and Recreation
P.O. Box: 3167
Phone: +255 23 2601376
Research Area: Tourism strategic plans, CSR, and tourism product diagnosis and development.
Biography:Mwamwaja has been in charge (MNRT) for several public and private sector-led initiatives in the development and management of tourism sector in the country. His key achievements here include coordinating tourism investment and training programmes, tourism product development, and setting and implementing key legislation instruments for the tourism and wildlife sectors in the country. He was later (at SUA) involved in a number of Research and consultancies projects particularly in areas of destination planning and management, promotion of responsible businesses, and projects development and management.
Wageningen University (The Netherlands): Msc in Tourism, Leisure and Environments
University of Dar es Salaam: B.Ed (Hons)
Sangu High School (Mbeya): A-level Secondary Education
Pugu Secondary School (Dar es Salaam) and Rungwe Secondary School (Mbeya): O-level Secondary Education
1. Mwamwaja, E. (2013). Options and challenges in promoting an innovative tourism sector in Tanzania: views from tourism operators. JTKU. No. 4, pp95-109.
2. Mwamwaja, E., Jani, D., Elly, T., & Anderson, W. (in progress). Emerging model for linkage between tourism and agriculture sectors in Tanzania.
3. Patrick, M. and Mwamwaja, E. (in progress). Service Quality and Passengers’ Satisfaction at Kilimanjaro International Airport Abstract
4. Patrick, M. and Mwamwaja, E. (in progress). Community Participation and Barriers in tourism activities: A Case Study in Ngorongoro Conservation Area Authority.
5. Mwamwaja, E., Patrick, M. M. & Mathew, L (Submitted). The role of the state in promoting innovation in tourism sector in Tanzania.
1. Makindi Elly Zablon (2013). Contribution of culture to the tourism development. The case study of Arusha City.
2. Nkukwe Raphael Elias (2013). Participation of local community in the conservation of wildlife corridors; a case study of Monduli District.
3. Kinyonga Victor Raphael (2013). Challenges facing the development of hospitality and tourism entrepreneurship: The case study of Arusha District.
4. Fissoo Paul Hillonga (2013). Effects of increasing commercialization of Maasai culture; a case study of Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
5. Kaaya Ismail Samuel (2013). Marketing challenges facing small tour operators in Tanzania. A case study of Arusha City.
6. Marshall, Alice (2013). The role of wildlife conserving organizations in protecting biodiversity on Tanzania.
7. Shayo, Alex Leon (2013). Exploring potential threats of tourism investment on wildlife habitat conservation: Tarangire National Park.
8. Mushi, Davis (2013). Attitude of Tanzanian citizens towards visiting domestic tourism sites. A case of Arusha City, Tanzania.
9. Laban Moruo (2013). Contribution of tourism activities on local community well-being. A case of Ngorongoro Conservation Area in Tanzania.
10. Mkenda, E. Godson (2013). Contribution and challenges of community-based tourism on socio-economic well-being in Arusha, Tanzania.
RESEARCH AND CONSULTANCY:
2015 Nov - 2016 Jan
Tourism Product Audit in Destination Tanzania
2011 May and Aug
Innovation in tourism industry
2012 Nov.-2013 May
Tourism-Agriculture Linkage for Sustainable Development
Tourism investment strategy
Merera lodge in Arusha
Tourism Development Strategic Plan for Destinations
Morogoro Municipal Council
Branding and marketing strategy for training institute
Tamal training institute in DSM
Branding sports (football) for promoting tourism
Pro-poor tourism development in Mara
Employment in tourism sector
2010 - 2011
Feasibility studies for:
2011: Marangu college for tourism and hospitality management;
2010: Marera Safaris and Lodge Ltd, trophy hunting operations;
2010: Shangri-La Wildlife Game and Trophy Ltd, trophy hunting operations;
2010: ANDA African Adventure Ltd, tour operator services;
2010: LRGL Group Ltd, trophy hunting operations;
2010: Lunda Safaris Tanzania Ltd, trophy hunting operations; and
2010: Green Mile Safari Co. Ltd, trophy hunting operations.
Various clients as shown
Human resources development in tourism sector
ANDA Tour operator
2011 - 2012
In-service professional training for hotels
Residence hotels in Zanzibar
2015, 18th August
Corporate Social Responsibility
Forestry training providers for Private Forestry Programme.
2016 Sept. 8th-9th
Rapporteur - Inter-Ministerial Technical Working Group on National Rabies Control Strategic Plan, 2015-2020.
2016 August 22-23
One Health National Strategic Plan 2015-2010 Workshop, Dar es Salaam.
2016 June 14th
Rapporteur - Regional roundtable on managing relations between investors in the extractive sector and local communities: a Social Licence to Operate (SLO) approach. Dar es Salaam.
2016 April 06th
Stakeholders’ dialogue on health promotion in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam,
2016 March 17th
Rapporteur - Public and Private Sector Dialogue in tourism sector, Arusha region, Arusha, Mount Meru Hotel.
2016 March 7th
Rapporteur - Public and Private Sector Dialogue in tourism sector, lake zone. Mwanza,
2015 May 20-21st
Rapporteur - Africa regional meeting for open government partnership, 2015 edition, Dar es Salaam.
2015 Nov 17-20
Moderator - Harnessing CSR potential to strengthen the health sector in Tanzania, Mkapa Conference Centre, Mbeya.
2015 April 16-18th
Moderator - Engaging the private sector to support health sector through corporate social responsibility in Mbeya region, Mbeya.
2015 March 09-12th
Moderator - Harnessing CSR to strengthen the health sector in Tanzania (sub-national level), Dar es Salaam.