- +255 2326003511-4
Date of birth 19/2/1952
Marital status Married
Department of Forest Resource Assessment and Management ,
College of Forestry, Wildlife and Tourism
P.O. Box 3013, CHUO KIKUU, MOROGORO, TANZANIA.
Mobile Phone No.: +255 767 555 694
PhD (Forest Management), 1987, Aberdeen University
MSc (Forest Management), 1984, University of Dar es Salaam
BSc (For), (Hons), 1981, University of Dar es Salaam
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Involved in teaching, research, extension and consultancy services in Forest inventory, modelling, charcoal assessment, climate change issues, harvesting planning, forest management planning
Chapters in Books
- Malimbwi Rogers, Emmanuel Chidumayo, Eliakim Zahabu, Stephano Kingazi, Salome Misana, Emmanuel Luoga, and Jean Nduwamungu 2010: Woodfuel. Chapter in a book; The Dry Forests and Woodlands of Africa; Edited by Emmanuel Chidumayo and Davison Gumbo. Earthscan, London. Washington, DC pp 288.
Papers in journals
- Malimbwi, R. E. 1979. Performance of Eucalyptus species and provenance trial at Mtipa, Singida Region. Tanzania Silviculture Research Note No 32, Lushoto.
- Mgeni, A. S. and R. E. Malimbwi 1989. Natural forests of Tanzania and their management needs. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Record No 43:67-76.
- Malimbwi, R.E. and A.S.M. Mgeni 1990. Prospects of multiresource inventories in Tanzania natural forests. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Record No. 43:59-66.
- Malimbwi, R.E. and Z. Mbwambo 1990. Local volume tables for Eucalyptus grandis at Sao Hill Forest Project. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine Univ of Agriculture. Record No 45.
- Malende, Y.H., Mgeni, A.S.M. and R.E. Malimbwi 1992. Research priorities in the Department of Forest Mensuration and Management. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Record No. 53:62-67.
- Mgeni, A.S.M., Malimbwi, R.E. and Malende 1992. Dissemination of forest research findings: A Tanzanian Case. Faculty of Forestry, SokoineUniversity of Agriculture, Record No. 53:107-114.
- Chamshama, S.A.O. and R.E.Malimbwi 1996. Thinning softwood plantation forests in Tanzania. Faculty of Forestry record No. 66 41-49.
- S. Iddi, S.A.O. Chamshama and R.E. Malimbwi 1996. Planting spacing in forest plantations: A review. Faculty of Forestry Record No. 63: 25-33.
- Kajembe, G.C. and R.E.Malimbwi 1996. The forest agent at the interface: Reflections on his role in forest plantation management in Tanzania. Faculty of Forestry Record No. 63 118-124.
- Mattia, S. and R.E. Malimbwi, 1997. Volume equations for Cereops tagal, Bruguiera gymnorhiza, and Rhizophora mucronata. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Record No. 67:239-248.
- Zahabu E. and R.E. Malimbwi 1998. Structure and composition of Tree Species in Amani Nature Reserve. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture. Record No. 67:259-266
- Malimbwi, R.E., A.G Mugasha, S.A.O. Chamshama and E. Zahabu 1998. Volume tables for Tectona grandis at Mtibwa and Longuza forest plantations, Tanzania. Forest Record 71: 1-23
- Mattia S. B. and R.E. Malimbwi 1999. Structure of natural mangrove forests at Rufiji Delta. Faculty of Forestry Record No 72: 202-210
- Malimbwi, R. E. and A. B. Temu 1984. Volume equations for Pterocarpus angolensis and Julbernadia globiflora in Tabora, West Tanzania. Tanzania Association of Foresters Journal. Vol. 5.
- Krumland, B. E. and R. E. Malimbwi 1984. A comparison of methods for the construction of site index curves for Cupressus lusitanica at Mt Meru. Tanzania Association of Foresters Journal. Vol. 5.
- Malimbwi, R. E. and M. S. Philip 1989. A compatible taper volume estimation system for P. patula at Sao Hill, Southern Tanzania. Forest Ecology and Management (27) 109-115.
- Malimbwi, R.E., A. Persson, S. Iddi, S.A.O. Chamshama and S.T.Mwihomeke, 1992. Effects of spacing on yield and some wood properties of Cupressus lusitanica, Northern Tanzania. Forestry. 65(1) 73-82.
- Malimbwi, R. E., A. Persson, S. Iddi, S. A. O. Chamshama and S. T. Mwihomeke, 1992. Effects of spacing on yield and some wood properties of Pinus patula, Northern Tanzania. Forest Ecology and Management, 53:297-306.
- Malimbwi R.E., B. Solberg and E. Luoga 1994. Estimation of Biomass and volume in Miombo woodland at Kitulangalo, Tanzania. Journal of Tropical Forest Science Volume 7, Number 2: 230-142.
- Palmer, E.R., Plumptre, R.E., Malimbwi, R.E., Gourlay, I.D., Quilter T.K., and J. Slater 1995. Effect of spacing on wood density of Pinus patula and Cupressus lusitanica. OFI Occasional Papers No. 48. Department of Plant Sciences. University of Oxford. 34pp.
- Ali, M.S., R.E.Malimbwi and S. Iddi 1997. Comparison of volume production, basic density and stem quality between Acacia mangium and Acacia auriculiformis grown in Zanzibar. J. Trop. For. Sci. 10(1):10-17
- Sibomana, G, F.B.S.Makonda, R.E.Malimbwi, S.A.O.Chamshama and S.Iddi 1997. Effect of spacing on performance of teak at Longuza, Tanga, Tanzania. J. Trop. For. Sci 10(2) 176-187
- Iddi, S., M.S.B. Maduka, A.G. Mugasha, S.A.O. Chamshama, L. Nshubemuki and R.E. Malimbwi (1998). Survival, growth, stem form and wood basic density of Pinus merkusii provenances at Buhindi, Mwanza, Tanzania. J. Trop. For. Sci. 10:526-536.
- Mugasha, A.G., Mgalla, H.A., Iddi, S., Nshubemuki, L., Chamshama, S.A.O. and R.E Malimbwi, 1998. Survival, growth, yield, stem form and wood basic density of Pinus oocarpa provenances at Buhindi, Mwanza, Tanzania. Silva Genetica 47: 102-107.
- Chamshama, S.O.A., Chingonikaya, E.E., S. Iddi, S., Mugasha, A.G., Nshubemuki, L. and Malimbwi, R.E. (1999). Survival, growth and wood basic density of Pinus kesiya provenances at Buhindi, Mwanza, Tanzania. J. Trop. For. Sci. 11(2): 401-409.
- Malimbwi, R.E., E.J. Luoga, O. Hofstad, A.G. Mugasha and J.S. Valen, 2000 Prevalence and standing volume of Dalbergia melanoxylon in coastal and inland sites of Southern Tanzania J. Tropic. For. Sci. Vol 12 (2):336-347 (2000).
- Maliondo, S.M.S., Malimbwi, R.E., Constantine, E., and E Zahabu, 2000. Fire impact on population structure and diversity of tree species in West Usambara Camphor zones Forest. J. Tropic. For. Sci. Vol 12, (3) 472-481.
- Kajembe, G.C., Malimbwi R.E., Luoga E.J. and Kisondella AA 2000. Socioeconomic importance of mangrove resorces to the coastal communities: A case study of Rufiji Delta.Tanzania Journal of Forestry and Nature Conservation 73:34-40
- Maliondo, S.M.S., Hakizimana, J., Malimbwi, R.E., Tairo V.E., & Kaoneka, A.R.S. 2001. Aboveground biomass of Gravillea robusta grown at Lushoto in the West Usambara. Tanzania Journal of Forestry and Nature Conservation. Vol 74: 25-29.
- Malende, Y.H.M.B.., Nzunda, E.F., Malimbwi, R.E., & Shemwetta, D.T.K. 2001. Qualitative and quantitative assessment of the current growing stock of Mtibwa teak. Morogoro, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Forestry and Nature Conservation. Vol 74: 93-99.
- Otieno J.N. Kajembe G.C. Malimbwi, R.E, and J. Nduwamungu 2001. The contribution of the herbal medicine to the welfare of local communities: A case study of Babati district, Arusha, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of population studies and Development. Vol 8, Nos 1&2, 2001:96-106
- Kajembe G.C. Nduwamungu, J, Luoga, E.J and Malimbwi RE and RJ Njana 2004. The Impact of human utilization on catchment forest Res. Base: A case study of North Mamiwa – Kasara Catchment Forest Reserve, Klosa District, Tanzania. Journal of TAF 10:1-13
- Luoga E.J. Malimbwi, R.E. and Kajembe G.E 2004. Species composition and structure of Mangrove forest at Jasini Mkwajuni Pangani. Journal of TAF 10:42:48
- Malimbwi RE, Nduwamungu J. Misana S., and Jambiya G.C.2004 Charcoal supply in Dar es Salaam City, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal. of Forestry and Nature Conservation 75:108 – 118.
- Nduwamungu J., Kajembe G.C, Malimbwi, RE, Mbilinyi B.P. & Luoga E.J. 2004. Household tree planting in Kilosa District Tanzania Journal. of Forestry and Nature Conservation 75: 99-107.
- Rogers E Malimbwi.& Esron Munyanziza 2005. From local people to local people: Forest management and policy in Tanzania over 100 years. UNISWA RESEARCH JOURNAL Vol 7 No 1: 101-108
- Malimbwi, R.E. Zahabu, Misana S. Monela, G.C., Jambiya, G.C. and Mchome ,B. (2005) Charcoal supplying potential of the miombo woodlands: The case of Kitulangalo area, Tanzania.. Journal of Tropical forest Science. 17(2):197-210
- Eliakimu Zahabu, Margaret M. Skutch Hussein Sosovele and RE Malimbwi 2007. Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation. African Journal of Ecology Vol.45 451-453.
- Nshare, J.S., Malimbwi, R.E., Chitiki, A, Kinana, B.M. and E. Zahabu 2007. The current status of the mangrove forest along seashore at Salenda bridge, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Journal of TAF Vol 11 172-179.
- Nduwamungu J., Malimbwi R.E., Kajembe G.C.and Mbilinyi B.P. Species diversity and stocking status in miombo woodlands: The case study of Kilosa District, Tanzania. Journal of TAF Vol. 11 159-171.
- Malimbwi R.E. and Zahabu E 2009. The analysis of sustainable fuelwood production systems in Tanzania. In FAO 2009. Criteria and indicators for sustainable woodfuels. Case studies from Brazil, Guyana, Nepal, Philippines and Tanzania. Edited by Simmone Rose, Elizabeth Remedio and Miguel A. Trossero p 195-224.
- Malimbwi R.E. and Zahabu E 2009 The analysis of sustainable charcoal production systems in Tanzania. In FAO 2009; Criteria and indicators for sustainable woodfuels. Case studies from Brazil, Guyana, Nepal, Philippines and Tanzania. Edited by Simmone Rose, Elizabeth Remedio and Miguel A. Trossero p 229-558.
- Wiskerke, W.T. V., Dornburg, C.D.K. Rubanza, R.E. Malimbwi, A.P.C. Faaij. Cost/benefit analysis of biomass energy supply options for rural smallholders in the semi-arid eastern part of Shinyanga region in Tanzania. Renew Sust Energ Rev, 14 (1) (2010), pp. 148–165
- Mbwambo, L., Eid, T., Malimbwi, R. E., Zahabu, E., Kajembe, G. C. and Luoga, E. 2012 Impact of decentralized forest management on forest resource conditions in Tanzania. Forests Trees and Livelihoods
- Makero J.S. and R. E. Malimbwi 2012. Extent of illegal harvesting on availability of timber species in Nyanganje Forest Reserve, Tanzania. International Forestry Review Vol14 (2), 2012
- Marco Njana, George Chamungwana, Kajembe & Rogers Ernest Malimbwi 2013. Are miombo woodlands vital to livelihoods of rural households. Evidence for Uromwa and surrounding communities, Tabora, Tanzania. Forests Trees and Livelihoods. Volume 22 Issue 2, 2013. pages 124-140.
- Wilson Ancelm Mugasha, Tron Eid, Ole Martin Bollandsås, Rogers Ernest Malimbwi Shabani Athumani Omari Chamshama Eliakimu Zahabu and Josiah Zephania Katani 2013. Allometric models for prediction of above- and belowground biomass of trees in the miombo woodlands of Tanzania. Forest Ecology and Management. (2013)
- Mbwambo, L., Malimbwi, R. E., and Kajembe, G. C. 2014. Community perceptions on the impact of decentralised forest management on access to livelihood assets in the north eastern and central Tanzania. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies & Management 7(1): 31 – 42, 2014 ISSN:1998-0507 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/ejesm.v7i1.4
- Erkki Tomppo, Rogers Malimbwi, Matti Katila, Kai Mäkisara, Helena M. Henttonen, Nurdin Chamuya, Eliakimu Zahabu, and Jared Otieno 2014. A sampling design for a large area forest inventory: case Tanzania. Can. J. For. Res. 44: 931–948 (2014) dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2013-0490.
- Chamalindi Bugingo Muriga, Prof. R. E. Malimbwi, Dr. Eliakimu Zahabu, 2014. Carbon Storage Potential of Trees Outside Forests under Private and Communal Tenure Regimes in Ng’iresi Village, Arumeru District, Tanzania. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) Impact Factor (2012): 3.358 Volume 3 Issue 10, October 2014. ISSN:2319-7064. www.ijsr.net
- Abel Malyango Masota, Eliakimu Zahabu, Rogers Ernest Malimbwi, Ole Martin Bollandsås, Tron Haakon Eid, 2014. Volume Models for Single Trees in Tropical Rainforests in Tanzania, Journal of Energy and Natural Resources. Vol. 3, No. 5, 2014, pp. 66-76. doi: 10.11648/j.jenr.20140305.12
- Eid, T., Malimbwi, R., Bollandsås, O.M., Zahabu, E., Katani, J. & Chamshama, S. 2014. The development of allometric models for prediction of above- and belowground biomass for all major forest types in Tanzania. International Forestry Review 16, p 216.http://dx.doi.org/10.1505/146554814814281648
- Marco Andrew Njana • Tron Eid • Eliakimu Zahabu • Rogers Malimbwi 2015. Procedures for quantification of belowground biomass of three mangrove tree species. Wetlands Ecol Manage DOI 10.1007/s11273-015-9417-Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2015. 3Received: 10 June 2014 / Accepted: 24 February 2015
- Ernest William Mauya, Endre Hofstad Hansen, Terje Gobakken, Ole Martin Bollandsås, Rogers Ernest Malimbwi and Erik Næsset. Effects of field plot size on prediction accuracy of aboveground biomass in airborne laser scanning-assisted inventories in tropical rain forests of Tanzania.Carbon Balance and Management (2015) 10:10.
- Malimbwi, R. E. and M. S. Philip. 1989. A growth and yield model for P. patula at Sao Hill, Southern Tanzania. Paper submitted at IUFRO S4.01 Mensuration Growth and Yield. Vienna, Sept 1989
- Mgeni A.S.M. and R. E. Malimbwi 1989. Growth and yield modelling in Tanzanian tropical High Forest. Proceedings from a workshop on Research for conservation of Tanzanian catchment forests held in Morogoro, Tanzania, March 13- 17, 1989.
- Haarpaitner J., C. Davids, H. Hindberg, E. Zahabu and R.E. Malimbwi 2015. Forest and forest change mapping with C-and L-band SAR in Liwale, Tanzania. The 36th International Symposium on remote sensing af environment, 11-15th May 2015, Berlin, Germany, ISRSE36-592-1
- Temu, A.B. and R.E. Malimbwi 1991. Multi-product inventory of Tropical mixed forests. Editors. Proceedings of the IUFRO conference. August 5-9, 1991, Arusha, Tanzania. 117 pp.
- Malimbwi, R.E. and A.S.M. Mgeni 1991. Preliminary results from the permanent sample plot program at Mazumbai Forest Project. Proceedings of the IUFRO conference on multi-product inventory of tropical mixed forests. August 5-9, 1991 Arusha, Tanzania, 47-53.
- Mgeni, A.S.M. and R.E. Malimbwi 1993. Prospects for sustainable development of miombo woodlands from strategic perspectives in Tanzania. Conference proceedings. Natural resource inventory and sustainable management of forest area in Africa. Biri, Norway, 21-22 January 1993. 42-57.
- Sjoholm, H. and R.E.Malimbwi 1995. Planning for the indigenous forests of Tanzania. Experince from the proposed Mgori Forest Reserve. Workshop Proceedings on "Information acquisition for sustainable management of natural forest resources of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa". Arusha, Tanzania, 31st Oct-4th Nov. 1994. pp 115-127.
- Malimbwi, R.E. 1995. Constraints and strategies of developing forest research in Africa. International Foundation for Science (IFS) 1996, Supporting capacity building in forestry research in Africa, Proceedings of the first international Symposium. The African Academy of Sciences. Nairobi, Kenya, 26th June - 1st July 1994. pp 69-76.
- Nduwamungu, J. and R.E. Malimbwi, 1996. Tree and shrub species diversity in Miombo woodland; a case study in Kitulangalo Forest Reserve, Morogoro, Tanzania. Proceedings International Symposium on Assessment and Monitoring of Forests in Tropical Dry Regions with Special Reference to Gallery Forest Nov. 4-7, 1996 Brasilia, Brazil. pp. 239-254.
- Malimbwi, R.E., Kielland Lund, J. and Nduwamungu 1997. Volume development in four miombo vegetation types in Morogoro, Tanzania. Proceeding of the XI World Forestry Congress Vol. 3, T13 Summary. Antalya, Turkey 13-22 October, 1997 page 146.
- Malimbwi ,R.E. A.O Kting’ati and E. Munyanziza 2001. Dynamics in forest management and policy in Tanzania and challenges for the next century. Proceedings of the 25th anniversary of the Faculty of Forestry and Nature Conservation: Forestry education in Tanzania. Sokoine University of Agriculture 88-94.
- Zahabu, E., and R.E. Malimbwi, 2008. Participatory Forest Inventory: A solution to forest data scarcity in Tanzania. Proceeding of the Tanzania Mpingo Project, Morogoro, Tanzania.
- Zahabu, E., and R.E. Malimbwi, 2008. The likely mechanism for implementing REDD policy in Tanzania. Proceeding of the Tanzania Association of Forester, Morogoro, Tanzania.
- Zahabu, E., Malimbwi, R.E., and Ngaga, Y.M., 2008. Carbon stocks and net benefits in selected forests under PFM arrangements in Tanzania and its potential in reducing rural poverty. Proceeding of the Tanzania Association of Forester, Morogoro, Tanzania.
- Mugasha, W. A., Eid T., Bollandsas, O.M., Malimbwi, R. E., Chamshama, S. A. O., Zahabu, E. And Katani J. Z. 2012. Allometric models for prediction of aboveground biomass of single trees in miombo woodlands in Tanzania. Proceedings of the first Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation and Mitigation Programme Scientific Conference. Blue Pearl Hotel, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania 2nd-3rd January, 2012.
- Malimbwi, R.E., Zahabu, E., Katani, J.Z., Mugasha, W. and Mwembe, U. (2010). Woodlot Management Guidelines for Smallholder Farmers. ISSN 978-9987-640-55-3 (English and Swahili versions). Sokoine University of Agriculture. 18 pp.
- Malimbwi, R.E., Zahabu, E., Katani, J.Z., Mugasha, W., Mwembe, U., Luvuga, I.A. and Sunga, D.S. (2013). Guidelines for cultivation of pyrethrum for smallholder farmers. ISBN 978-9987-9673-2-2 and 978-9987-9673-1-5 (English and Swahili versions). Sokoine University of Agriculture. 17 pp.
- L. Vesa, R.E. Malimbwi, E. Tomppo, E. Zahabu, S. Maliondo, N. Chamuya, E.Nssoko, J. Otieno, G. Miceli, A. K. Kaaya, S. Dalsgaard 2010. National Forestry Resources Monitoring and Assessment of Tanzania (NAFORMA); Field Manual, Biophysical survey. Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism, Dar es Salaam pp 95.
- Malimbwi, R.E. 1997. Fundamentals of Forest Mensuration. A compendium. Faculty of Forestry, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania 85pp.
- Malimbwi R.E. 1987. A growth and yield model for Pinus patula at Sao Hill, Southern Tanzania. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Aberdeen, U.K.
- Malimbwi R.E. 1984. Growth and yield studies of Cupressus lusitanica in Meru Forest Project, Northern Tanzania.M.Sc. Thesis, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania.
1996-1999: Mangrove research project.
1999-2001: Charcoal Potential in Southern Africa (CHAPOSA) project.
2001-2005: TARP II SUA Project (Tanzania Agricultural Research Project, Phase II).
2007-2012: Assessing the impact of forestland tenure changes on forest resources and rural livelihoods in Tanzania. Funded by Norwegian Governmen. (Team Member)
2011-2015: Enhancing the Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) of forests in Tanzania through the application of advanced remote sensing techniques. (Team member)
2010-2015: Development of biomass estimation models for Carbon monitoring in selected vegetation types of Tanzania. (Team leader)
2013– 2016: Restoration of forests, carbon and livelihoods in Tanzania. (Team leader)
1991: SADC Regional Forest Inventory Feasibility Study Team. SADC Project 654. Lilongwe, Malawi.
1992: TAFORI (Tanzania Forestry Research Institute) Research master plan write up team Morogoro, Tanzania.
1994: Forest inventory of Mgori Forest Reserve, Singida, Region.
1996: Catchment Forest Project review. Forestry and Beekeeping Division, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania..
1998: Yield tables development for Sao Hill Forest Plantations.
1999: Teaching Forest Mensuration at Makerere University (MU).
1999: Evaluation of permanent sample plots in Co-management Miombo forest blocks in Malawi.
1999: Inventory of village forests in Kiteto District, Arusha Region, Tanzania.
2000: Inventory of village forests Rufiji District, Coast Region.
2000: Inventory of Chome forest Reserve, Same District, Kilimajaro Region.
2001: Tanzania Conservation and Management Project (TCMP).
2001: East Usambara Conservation Area Management Programme (EUCAMP)
2003: Inventory of Duru Haitemba village forests ( Babati District Council)
2005: Forest area change of the Eastern Arc Mountains.
2005: Forest inventory in eleven districts of Southern Highlands and Eastern Zones of Tanzania.
2006: Inventory of Sandalwood in Tanzania:
2007: The analysis of sustainable charcoal production in Tanzania
2007: Analysis of charcoal production for Dar es Salaam city
2009: NAFORMA Stakeholders Needs
2010: Tanzania National Forest Resources Monitoring and Assessments (NAFORMA)
2013: Institutionalizing NAFORMA into TFS
2013: Zanzibar Woody Biomass Survey (ZWBS)
2014. Development of Integrated Monitoring Systems for REDD+ in the Southern African
2014: Biomass Energy in Tanzania
2015: Inventory and harvesting planning.Carrying out forest Namatunu village land forest reserve as a pilot case for NFBP under Finnish Support.
SUPERVISION OF STUDENTS’ RESEARCH PROJECTS
Number of students supervised