Subject Ante and Title: FBL 305 Biodiversity Measuring and Monitoring (10 Credits)
Subject status: Elective
Credits rating: 10
Lectures: 40 hours
Seminars/Tutorials: 10 hours
Practical: 15 hours
Independent study: 20 hours
Prerequisite: FBL 102, FBL103
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Explain different concepts and key terminologies used in biodiversity measuring and assessment
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different methods of identification, assessment, valuation and monitoring of the biodiversity of different taxa.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of biodiversity and the links to livelihoods and sustainable development.
- Apply the acquired knowledge and skills to assess and measure biodiversity.
Contents: The concept of biodiversity: levels of biodiversity. Properties and values of biodiversity. Biodiversity and ecosystem integrity – biodiversity in natural forests, woodlands, aquatic ecosystems and managed ecosystems/inhabited landscapes. Managing biological diversity: biodiversity loss and its causes including invasive species. Measuring and monitoring biodiversity - vegetation, animals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, micro-organisms. Strategy on biodiversity conservation - institutional and policy issues, gender and equity issues, biodiversity tenure and property rights, biodiversity policies and frameworks, the Convention on Biodiversity (CBD) and related conventions.
- Boyle, T.J.B. and. Boontawee, B. (1995). Measuring and Monitoring Biodiversity in Tropical and Temperate Forests. CIFOR, Indonesia.
- Huston, M.A. (1994). Biological diversity: The coexistence of species and changing landscapes. Cambridge University press.
- Groom, M.J., Meffe, G.K. and Carroll, C.R. (2006). Principles of conservation biology. 3rd Edition. Sinaeur Associates, Inc. Publishers, Massachussets, USA.
- John, F. C. (1993). Biological Data Analysis. A Practical Approach. Reprinted 1994. IRL P Press.
- Magurran, A.E. (2003). Measuring Biological Diversity. Wiley-Blackwell. 264p.
- Collen, B., Pettorelli N., Baiillie J.E.M. and Durant S.M (2013). Biodiversity Monitoring and Conservation: Bridging the Gap Between Global Commitment and Local Action, Wiley-Blackwell. 464p